Japanese Culture Day: 日本文化紹介ディー


I had the opportunity this Sunday to participate as a volunteer for the Kyoto Prefectural International Center’s Japanese Culture Day as a translator and tutor for Kyo-Temari. It was  a lot of fun!

I’ve written here before about the Kyoto Prefectural International Center. It’s a wonderful place to take low-cost, cultural classes with a master sensei in many things, such as Temari, Tea Cermony and Calligraphy. With easy access in Kyoto Station’s Isetan mall, its a great opportunity to meet new people, international and Japanese residents alike! Today the center held its annual Japanese Culture Day, where I volunteered at the Kyo-Temari booth as a translator and instructor.

The event lasted all day, and the turn out was great. I got to meet so many new people, and see old friends and teachers as well. I had a lot of fun helping people learn to make Temari, and afterwards, I was able to go to a staff dinner nearby where we had wonderful food and in general, a great time. I would love to volunteer there more if it was closer and I had more time. 残念です。

This is my instructor. Look at how skilled she is!!