It’s a Winter Wonderland


My first snow in Japan! This picture was taken on a pathway in Kitano Tenman-gu, one of the prettiest areas in town today. I’m so glad I bought that coat last week!

So, this morning I woke up at my typical 7:30am to take Vaaska out for his relief, and when I opened the door, I was treated to the most amazing sight ever- five inches of untouched snow, with more powder coming down from the clouds in gentle swirls. Suffice to say, I was like a kid on Christmas as I took Vaaska down. Vaaska, of course, was not as impressed- in fact, he was quite confused, as I am certain it was his first snow.

I have seen snow before, during road trips and hotel stays and in Tahoe, but this is the first time since I was very little (on a rare day in southern Louisiana) that I was treated to snow in the town I have been living in. It truly was gorgeous- it was so early that none of the snow had been adulterated yet. There were no car tracks either- just a perfect blanket of snow, about five inches in depth, and growing.

Naturally, the moment I got inside, I was bouncing around, trying to wake Nicky up long before her usual waking time. Eventually, I did convince her, and after I made her eggs and coffee, we put on our snow boots, pulled on our new winter coats and attempted to take Vaaska on a walk to see the main street. Now, when I say attempted, it means we didn’t actually get that far. Every day our dog continues to prove he’s more of a cat than anything...

Anyway, after our brief stint with the dog outside, we brought him home and decided to head up towards Kitano Tenman-gu. The temple was in the process of preparing for the New Year’s Eve festivities, but wasn’t crowded yet, so it was absolutely gorgeous walking through. I’ll post pictures up in my gallery. Truly, it was like walking through a winter wonderland.