最後のお祭り: The Last Summer Festival




Tonight was the very last summer festival in Sugamo for the year. Earlier in the day we had noticed them setting up the taiko drums and lanterns and decided to come back in our yukata to take part in the celebration. Erin and Ian both joined us for the celebration. Despite yukatas still taking a beastly amount of time to put on (and I’m certain we’re doing it wrong) and the weather being far too humid for black and dense fabric, I had a lot of fun.

We stuck around for around forty minutes of dances... all of the teams were great, especially the finale that consisted of only three dancers; their movements were so fluid. I’m completely envious of people who can sing and dance. There was an old man there who invited us into the ring to dance with them, but I politely declined as it was hot, my already bad rhythm would have been even worse in my geta (Japanese sandal) and there was no way I was going in alone!

It was nice to be able to go to a celebration like this on Nicky’s last real night in Sugamo, as tomorrow she moves out to Hamadayama until we both leave for Kyoto. I can’t complain about the commute though, as 30 minutes by train isn’t terrible, as we used to be apart by over 300 miles!