Tanukidani Fire Festival


On July 28th, the Town Mouse and I made another trip up Higashi-yama to attend Tanukidani’s annual fire festival. It was a moving event, with live coals, though we didn’t stay long enough to walk the road ourselves.

Tanukidani has very few festivals throughout the year, but one of its more famous ones happens in July, its fire festival, which includes fire walking and several hours of loud chanting with bells and conch shells. The eclectics wear their traditional costumes for the festival, and spectators are allowed to join in the ceremony by walking across the live coals to receive a blessing.

I’ve made a short video of the event, using short clips I took throughout the night.... I hope you like it! If you have a chance to go, I heartily recommend the trip. The temple is beautiful regardless of when you go.