剣道: Hospitality & The First Day




The day following Ozawa-sensei’s incredible kindness in treating us to such a large dinner, Mihori-san (our guide to the dojo on the first day) took a day out of his schedule to show us around Takaido and help me get some kendo gear. Considering that today he is heading out to Okinawa with his fiance Stephanie for a holiday, I was surprised with how willing they were to accommodate us. Mihori and Stephanie showed us where the pool and sentou (like an onsen) are near Nicky’s place, and took me to a shop where I bought my shinai. Afterwards, he invited us back to his parents’ house, where they had an entire spread of food prepared for us- his mother made all of these great dishes... no one went hungry, that’s for sure! His dad was really cute too; despite being warned that his Japanese was a bit awkward, I found that I could understand him relatively well, so that boosted my confidence a bit.

After dinner, Stephanie took me to her room, where I proceeded to try on her old kendo uniform- it’s a bit short, but because it fit me, and she was trying to get rid of it... I got it for free! I was really surprised, since I just thought she was going to lend it to me for a practice. It’s also a huge stress off my back, since if I decide to continue the sport, the hakuma and gi run to about $60USD a piece. Yikes!

It was getting pretty late after dinner, so I decided to head home, but, directly after school today, I went back to Nakano for my first real practice. Mainly, I worked on footwork with Ozawa-sensei, and then sat on the sidelines when everyone put their armor on (it would be too dangerous for me to keep practicing). I had a lot of fun, and if I’m allowed to say so, I think I look pretty cute in the uniform <(^0^)>... Hopefully I can get a picture of it soon. We’ll see.

In any case, I’m super tired now, so I’ll leave this entry at that! (^.^)v